Thursday, May 28, 2009

Ye ask ..

. . . and ye shall receive!

THE BOOKS!!!



I finally got the books yesterday. Obviously the one to start with is the that says it's the Complete IDIOT'S Guide - to Glycemic Index Weight Loss. I mean it's a natural fit, ME - and anything that starts with Complete Idiot's Guide. Of course I thumbed through all of them, looked at the pictures, etc. But - I plan to digest (*snort* *digest*) the information slowly. At work all day long I was looking at things like - If R.25 is null, then OBR.04.1 is populated with the value in OBR.26. But if there is a value . . . ugh - it made my brain hurt. It was like Algebra or something! So my job can be intense sometimes, I do believe my eyes twirl on a regular basis.

So given my work day, when I come home I like to relax. My brain, that is. So I will start with the Idiot's guide because it has a lot of explanations and clarifications and hopefully all in idiot form. I want to understand more about what foods are just out and out good, and what foods are okay if eaten with a good food, etc. I need to understand this stuff intuitively so I can start making better food choices without thinking about it.

In the meantime I will keep eating uncomplicated sticks and stones and try to keep it together until I can get more sophisticated in my cooking. I did find a recipe online that looked good to me. Well, maybe except the peppers. And the onions. But I would try them. Okay, maybe I would have to use minced onions, butanyway, what do you think?

10-Minute Marinated Veggie Toss


Serves 6; 1/2 cup per serving

Ingredients
1 14-ounce can quartered artichoke hearts, rinsed and well drained
1/4 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
1/4 cup packed fresh baby spinach leaves, torn if desired
9 small black olives, halved
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 medium garlic clove, minced

Directions
In a medium bowl, stir together all the ingredients. Let stand for 10 minutes.

For peak flavors, serve immediately after the standing time.

Cook’s Tip: For additional nutrients and color, spoon the salad onto a bed of spinach leaves.


I DO like vinegar. :)


1 comment:

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

I have one of those glycemic index diet books that's set up as red light (never eat this), yellow light (eat in moderation) and green light (go crazy). It was pretty easy to follow.

The recipe looks awesome. I love those kinds of salads.