Sunday, May 24, 2009

I realized today ..

...how great the effect sugar has on my body. I have not received my books yet, it's the longest it's ever taken to get something from Amazon. But this morning I ate some coffee cake. It wasn't ordinary coffee cake. I stopped at the bakery on my way home from work yesterday and I pointed at this wonderful looking confection and asked what it was. The young girl behind the counter said "Oh that's the favorite coffee cake. It's got a chocolate filling and it's frosted with chocolate." Wow. Okay - works for me."

Saturday mornings I make my tea and take it into the living room and drink it while watching the soaps I've recorded during the week. This Saturday I also had coffee cake available. I cut myself a good chunk and as I ate it I was almost regretting the size of the piece because it was so rich. Almost. I still ate it. A bit more slowly, but I still did. You will see me throw broccoli away much more quickly than chocolate.

About an hour later I could barely keep my eyes open. To the point where I ended up laying down for a nap - and for me a nap is usually at least a couple of hours. It's not unusual for me to waste whole days when I don't have to go to work because I get so sleepy I need to lay down. The doctor thought it was because I wasn't sleeping well at night but now - I think he's wrong. There must be a big connection for me between what I eat and my energy levels. Sugar apparently makes me crash. Big. Ugh. The more I learn - the more pissed off I get about this whole aging thing and having to change the way I do things because I've got old muscles or old organs for goodness sakes.

I read a lot today about people who give up sugar entirely and live as free from sweets as possible, even to the point of never even eating fruit that has more natural sugar than others. Sugar and I are so close, we have had such a long and satisfying relationship. I can imagine cutting back but giving it up entirely? I honestly cannot fathom such a thing.

No comments: