Monday, May 25, 2009

Sticks and stones and beans

This morning I found myself not wanting to eat, feeling like everything I put in my mouth would probably be wrong. Reading about the glycemic index and what eating by following the index means, I've come to the conclusion that if I eat everything I hate and give up everything I love - I'll be doing good. No more soft white bread, no more bagels made with white flour, if the bread doesn't have sticks and stones in it - it isn't good for me.

Yesterday morning I had eggs and sausage and did not experience the crash I had the day before after eating coffee cake. Today I finally ate some almond slivers meant for salads, and am now eating a whole wheat bagel with peanut butter. Reduced fat peanut butter, I might add. High fiber with protein. Yay me.

I hope my books come soon because I still find this very confusing. You don't want to eat something high on the index all by itself because it will drop sugar into your bloodstream without stopping and collecting 200 dollars. Which will lead to a crash not too long after. You can apparently eat some things that have a high rating, as long as you pair it with something low on the index.

I can't say I understand everything about how it all relates to how the liver and pancreas process things and all the biology involved. But I do get that it's the way people with diabetes need to eat and a way of eating people on the verge of diabetes would be smart to adopt. But I am desperately in need of recipes so I get a better idea of how it all works. I've collected a few but seeing as most of the recipes I have found are not things I would eat - I need a bigger selection.

Being open to the idea of trying different things is great, but beans? Like kidney beans and chickpeas and stuff like that? I understand they are good sources of fiber and protein but omg I hate the texture. I know I'm a big baby but this is going to be a tough road for me.

Oh, and a really big problem? I don't like fish. Highly recommended. Yuk.

2 comments:

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

So have the books arrived yet? I'm anxious to hear what you think. It will be a lot of what you really already know (white flour, sugar and processed foods are bad; first generation foods are good) but it always helps to have it in front of you in black and white. Be sure to let us know which books you got and what you think of them.

Have you looked at the South Beach Diet? It's a really good plan for diabetics.

Oh, and one more thing - re your earlier post about sugar: I react to it the EXACT SAME way. Always have. Why is it that, even though we know it's going to make us miserable, we can't stay away from it? Oh yeah...because it tastes so freakin' good.

Hang in there.

Ms. Skywalker said...

That would be hard to eat things that you cannot stand.

What about oatmeal? I love it; especially with Splenda and blueberries or raspberries added, with Silk Light Vanilla Soy Milk.

Stick with it--you can do it!