Saturday, April 11, 2009

Are stuffed peppers diet food?

I don't cook. I mean barely. I hate my kitchen, there is no counter space, so even if I was a good or a natural cook - it would still suck to do it in that space. Anyway, it seems like lately I have been wanting to try different things so I have gotten the ingredients together and attempted a few dishes. Tonight - is stuffed peppers. I don't even like peppers. Yes, I am that absurd.

I was in the kitchen earlier in the day and I smelled something that reminded me of stuffed peppers. I have NO idea what that could have been but I try not to question the smells in my house too much. My MIL used to make stuffed cabbage and when I was still married and going over there for dinner sometimes, she would stuff a couple of peppers for me because I didn't like cabbage. I never actually ate the pepper, but I would eat the meat and rice it was stuffed with. Oh - and I used to eat the Stouffers frozen peppers. Again, just the insides.

Andy ran out to the store for me but didn't get back till damn near 5:30 - so we will be eating quite late. But - they're in the oven. I didn't find a weight watchers recipe which might have been the smart thing to do. I didn't try to make a vegetarian version or use turkey instead of beef. I went online and found a recipe that had the ingredients I thought would best mimic the stuffed peppers I have liked in the past.

peppers
ground sirloin
onions
bread crumbs
rice
tomato sauce
tomato soup

Of course salt and pepper, etc. Not a diet meal but my rationale is - I hardly ever cook and home cooked is always better for you than frozen or processed, so this is healthier for me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

That may be one of my biggest problems - if I want something, I can always think of a way to justify it. Like - at least it's not a big meaty, cheesy lasagna! Mmm-m-m .. sounds good!

**Added later - Note to self: One stuffed pepper is always enough. One serving of everything else is always enough too. Ugh.

No comments: