Saturday, July 11, 2009

Looking for . . .



Breakfast on the go. Recipes. I know breakfast is important and I do eat it every day. But it
usually consists of a whole wheat bagel with some cheese, and some fruit. And tea. Tea is always my morning drink. Anyway, I've been looking at recipes for mini fritattas that look pretty good, and some egg in pita combos that you can freeze and pop in the microwave. Now that's for me! I could pretend it's fast food and pretend I'm being bad! I'm thinking of incorporating some eggs, onions, low fat cheese, some meat - whether that's a bit of lunch meat or boca sausage - I don't know. Maybe some spinach - I'm looking for some variety.

I have less than zero when it comes to time in the morning. But I think I'm going to try making some mini spinach fritattas and some scrambled egg and who knows what - pitas - and freezing them. I have a refrigerator and a microwave about 5 feet from my desk at work so it's no hardship to heat something up. Or - if I get it ready the night before I can fill a ramekin with tomatoes, onions, a bit of cooked ham or bacon and maybe some cut up pieces of toast (okay maybe a small cereal bowl) and some low fat cheese - I can seal it up and bring an egg with me that I can crack onto the top of all that once I get to work and cook it in the micro. Hmmmm.

I have to remember to make sure I have whole grains and protein in the morning, I need to have things from the different food groups in order to keep my sugar levels - well - level! Anybody have any good and quick ideas for a healthy breakfast on the go? I have not moved into the realm of smoothies yet, so lets skip that category for now. But anything else? I can use all the help I can get.


2 comments:

Pauline said...

Oatmeal. Seriously. Filling, stick to your ribs, comes in an instant packet, just add water and heat in the microwave oatmeal. Different flavors, add fruit or almost anything.

Because otherwise I will have PopTarts and a Diet Coke. Or a pizza. It took me so long to realize the "emotion" in my emotional eating and while I am happier and recognize the triggers, God help me, I want the PopTarts, or donuts, or those really good little breakfast sandwiches at Starbucks even though I hate their coffee.

Oatmeal fixes that for me. Apple and Cinnamon with some cut up fresh apples (already sliced in the package at the market - oh joy), blueberry oatmeal with fresh blueberries, OMG!

Anyway, maybe it will help you, maybe it won't, but it works for me.

Good luck to you on your walking, it's nice to see everything at that pace, isn't it?

Cynthia said...

Those look yummy to me. I am a carb addict for breakfast. When I'm trying to be good I have oatmeal with berries or with sliced apples...and coffee. I must have coffee.