Thursday, July 30, 2009

I’m behaving, really.

The girl at work I share my office room with, has a garden. You know what that means. I am threatened with bodily harm if I do not eat her produce. On Tuesday she gave me a zucchini and 2 little yellow squash. Squashes? Anyway.

Wednesday morning: “Beej, did you cook the zucchini and the squash?”

“No Joan, I haven’t. I will, don’t worry.”

This morning: “Beej, did you cook it yet?”

“No Joan, I didn’t.”

About a half hour later of things totally unrelated to vegetables: “Beej?”

“Yeah?”

“Don’t wait too long to cook it, you know it will start to get ..”

“I know Joan. I have dealt with vegetables before.

“Okay.”

There is a half wall between us so I don’t see her as she is admonishing me about not wasting the precious vegetables grew with the sweat of her – uh – I don’t want to know where she sweats. But something she doesn’t remember – I DIDN’T ASK FOR THE VEGETABLES!!!!

So I cooked them tonight. See to me, zucchini and squash (except acorn squash that you bake with a ton of butter and brown sugar) are fairly tasteless. So basically – it was about what I could add to not only make them tasty – but to make them TASTE. Like ANYTHING.

DSCF9396

A little olive oil, garlic and onion (powder) bread crumbs and parmesan cheese did the trick. And after I took the pictures I actually ate some. Not bad!

Oh - threw some tomato slices in for color. I LIKE color. I bet you couldn't tell.


No comments: