Friday, October 30, 2009

Magically delicious!

Okay well, I'm not sure anything quite beats a handful of marshmallow charms from a box of Lucky Charms cereal, but this comes close! I ran to the grocery store on my lunch hour today and stumbled upon a small container of fresh dates. I already knew I liked dates, but the only ones I've ever eaten have been from a box. Looking at that plastic container I realized I had never tasted a fresh date! So of course I had to buy them.



I brought them back to work which lead to a discussion with my co-worker about whether the sweet taste of dates could get you past the somewhat waxy texture, and the slightly disturbing resemblance to cockroaches. YES!!! For me, anyway. I couldn't get her to try them for anything. But they were wonderful, even WITH the pits! I'm not sure there is anything quite as naturally sweet as a date. If you have a sweet tooth like I do, it's worth getting beyond their looks.

Plus - a couple of minutes after I got back to my desk, along came the gal I ordered taffy apples from so - BONUS! Dates AND caramel covered apples in the same day. Ah-h-h. I'm a happy girl.

Have a great Halloween!!

3 comments:

Tricia McWhorter said...

Yeah, I am sooooo not into dates. Thankfully I've never actually met a cockroach so that can't be the reason. Glad you enjoyed them though.

By the way, really enjoying revolving flower show on your blog.

Memphis said...

Nothing beats Lucky Charms. That's just crazy talk!

slippingthroughtheworld said...

Ooh BetteJo - if you pit your dates, then scoop a dollop of Marscaponi cheese on each half.... oh it's to die for! But, not me I'm on a diet at last and lost 10 lbs last week!! Looking forward to this Saturday to see how I did this week...then I can re-introduce good, brown carbs :(