Saturday, September 19, 2009

I'm a slow learner

So, falling off the wagon (and letting it roll over me) has been a crash course in all things fast food related, grease dipped, and dairy laden. My daughter was home last weekend and we ordered pizza. We ordered a Sicilian stuffed pizza which had so much cheese there were literally puddles of it on the cardboard. It was wondrous and disgusting all at the same time. Paper bags, plastic cups and straws fill my garbage.



And I FEEL like crap.

When I was eating hardly anything processed, almost all fresh and natural foods I did not feel perfect. But the GI problems that have plagued me most of my life were reduced to the lowest point of aggravation since I was a kid. This last week I have had constant belly aches, nausea, headaches off and on, and fatigue like nobodies business. Just overall crappy.

I am kind of amazed actually that the change has been so dramatic. Changing to healthy food was a gradual process so I didn't notice anything overnight. I knew there were changes but not like when I reversed the processed and dove (dived?) head first into a fast food cesspool. Proof positive that it's not. only. about. losing. weight.

How many times have I said that? It's a lifestyle change, not a diet. It's a lifestyle change, not a diet. Why can't I integrate that into my brain so that I don't stomp my feet like a little kid when I don't lose a few pounds and head right back to Taco Bell?? Grr-r-r-r !!!! And the thing is - I'm not ready to head back yet. Even though I know I'll feel better, even though I know it's better for my heart, my sugar, my overall health, I'm not ready to turn it back around again. Ugh.

I'm not sure why. But . . did I mention it's a lifestyle change and not a diet?

7 comments:

Tricia McWhorter said...

I totally understand. I think the phrase "glutton for punishment" came about to describe this weird sanity disconnect we can cling to. Hang in there. You'll turn it around again.

Beth said...

I can relate 100%. Just BELIEVE that you CAN get past it. Don't give that behavior more power than it needs to have. Just because you did it doesn't mean you have to keep doing it.

BetteJo said...

Thanks, ladies. I hope you're both right! I believe in myself every night when I go to bed and then the next day - I'm not where I should be. Again.

P Diddy said...

I found your blog via google and thought your post was spot on.

I agree. It is not a diet it is a lifestyle change.

Cabbage Soup Diet
Cabbage Diet Soup

pasadenapio said...

For decadent fast food without the guilt, I have two recommendations: (1) the chicken fajita pita combo at Jack in the Box (substitute the fruit cup or a side salad for the fries); and (2) the grilled chicken wrap along with the fruit and walnut salad at McDonald's. I had to lose a lot of weight, too, but it was hard giving up the fat food. This really did the trick for me once or twice a week.

Keep the faith!

Tricia McWhorter said...

You just got an award! Stop by to pick it up when you get the time.

slippingthroughtheworld said...

Oh yes and I'm on that bandwaggon too now :( I don't want to never be able to eat mashed potatoes again :( or a big crusty bloomer but I'm actually slipping into this pretty easily and am not having cravings. But if I did what you've just donw I don't know if I'd be able to climb back out!